General Information / FAQ's
- The maximum number of items a student may borrow is ten (this includes a limit of five DVDs).
- FDTC students, faculty or staff must have their TECH ID. Community borrowers must show a picture ID to checkout items.
- Items are loaned for a three-week period. Patrons are responsible for materials used and their proper return.
- Delinquent items may not be renewed over the telephone. Delinquent items must be returned before any other items are charged.
- Patrons are responsible for any lost or damaged print, non-print materials or equipment. Checkout privileges may be revoked for any lost
or damaged item. Adequate clearance of financial obligations is necessary before registration or graduation.
- Please update Rule no. 6, to read: Patrons who lose library materials will be required to pay the cost of not less than $40 plus a $30 processing fee per item.
- All items must be returned to the library by the end of each semester.
- Periodicals and newspapers must be used within the library.
- Reference items designated by REF above the classification number must be used within the library.
- No smoking, eating, or drinking is allowed in the library. All other tobacco products are prohibited, too.
- Silence in libraries is standard courtesy. Students guilty of disturbing others will be asked to refrain from loud talking,
first. On the second offense, they will be asked to leave the library.
- Public Law 16-13-330 and 16-13-340 specifically deal with stealing, defacing or damaging items, periodicals, recordings, films, etc.
Can I borrow material from Francis Marion University or Coker College Libraries?
With a valid Florence Darlington Technical College identification card, you may borrow material from Coker College or Francis Marion University. The rules of the borrowing institution must be followed.
How do I get a special borrower card?
Community residents with proper ID who receive special permission from the Library Director, Librarian, Evening Librarian, or "designated LTA" will be issued a special borrower card.
What is my FDTC library card?
Your college identification card is also your library card. When checking out library materials, items will be checked out only to the person whose photo appears on the card.
How many items may be checked out?
Students may check out up to ten items at one time. Special borrowers may check out five items at one time.
What is the checkout period for items?
Library materials, unless otherwise stated, normally circulate for a period of three weeks and are due on or before the last date stamped in the item. If you need an item for a longer period of time, it may be renewed unless another person has requested it. Items may be renewed by telephone or online if they are not overdue. Students are allowed to checkout a laptop for a two-day period and it must be returned by 9 am for day students and 6 pm for evening students the date it is due. Telephone renewals for laptops are not permitted.
What if you can't locate an item?
If you cannot find an item you need, notify the Circulation Staff, who will determine the status of the item.
What is interlibrary loan?
Materials needed but not found in our library may be borrowed from other libraries.
May I renew delinquent items?
Delinquent items may not be renewed over the telephone. Delinquent items must be returned before any other items are checked out. Patrons are responsible for any lost or damaged print or non-print materials. Adequate clearance of financial obligations is necessary before registration or graduation. Delinquent items may be renewed upon return.
What happens if I lose or damage library material?
Patrons who lose library materials will be required to pay the cost of replacement (a minimum of $30), plus a $25.00 processing fee.
Where do I find reserve materials?
Reserve materials are found at the circulation desk. They must be requested by the course name or the faculty name. You must have a valid Florence Darlington Technical College ID to checkout reserve materials.
How do I log onto the computer?
Your college ID number is your username and password the first time you log into a computer. You will then be allowed to set your password to be used for following logins.
How do I find an item?
On the library's web page (www.fdtc.edu/library) click on OPAC-Catalog. The search page allows you to search by author, title, subject, call number or journal title for materials located in the FDTC libraries.
What do I need to checkout a laptop?
You must have a valid Florence Darlington Technical College ID to checkout a laptop or reserve materials.
What do I need to print/copy?
A print card must be purchased from card dispensing machines located in all buildings. You can credit your card with any amount up to $20. Located near all copiers/printers are card readers.
Can I check out a magazine/ periodical/ serial?
No, they may only be used in the library.
Where can I find an article?
Articles can be found using print copies of serials, electronic copies of serials or electronic databases.