Types of Financial Aid
The SC National Guard has started communication regarding the CAP application process for Academic Year 2014-15.
Military members will only have one window to submit their CAP application regardless of whether they are planning
to enroll during the fall 2014, spring 2015, or summer 2015 semesters. The CAP application window will open June 1, 2014
and close August 1, 2014. The Guard will not accept CAP applications received outside of this window. CAP will be
awarded on a first come/first serve basis.
South Carolina Military Department offers the following programs:
- SC Army National Guard College Assistance (SCARNG-CAP)
- SC Air National Guard College Assistance (SCANG-CAP)
- CAP Funds can be used towards any certificate/license, associate or bachelor program. There is no penalty for changing majors of study. Students can continue to use these funds for each level until they reach the $18,000 cap or receive a bachelor's degree.
- Be a qualified member of the SC National Guard or SC Air National Guard.
- Be in good standing throughout the entire academic year for which benefits are payable.
- Have valid tuition and fee expenses from an eligible institution.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress identified by the school.
|How To Apply
- Student completes SCNG or SCAR application.
- National Guard/National Air Guard verifies eligibility and certifies application.
- List of approved members is sent to CHE for distribution to schools.
- Student notifies school of eligibility.
- School confirms approval and makes award.
- Continued eligibility is determined based on total number of hours, SAP, and membership standing with the National Guard/National Air Guard.